Sunday, October 2, 2011

Crucible Post 2

"At one point, Proctor tells Hale that he believes in witches even though he does not. Would you be willing to lie and tell people you believed in something you do not in order to protect yourself? Why or why not?"

Honestly, I would totally lie to save myself. It sounds weak (and it is), but I really think that if you’re going to suffer for it, why not avoid the suffering? When it comes to things like religion, and drugs and things that are bad for me, I would OF COURSE not lie. I’d be proud to say I’m Christian or not involved with those things. But I have secrets that I would be crazy mocked for, and it’s really not worth it for everyone to know things about me if they’re going to make fun of me. If someone asked me point blank about something that I was ashamed of, I wouldn’t hesitate to lie to save myself.

If I was accused of being a witch and was about to be hanged, yeah, no, I would lie my butt off to save myself. You may be an outcast from society for the rest of your life, but you wouldn’t be DEAD. It’s honorable to be able to let yourself die for a cause, but that’s not me. I wish it were, but it’s not. If it were about my religion, I honestly don’t know what I would do. I’m hoping I’d be strong enough to die for what I believe in, but I can also see myself folding under the pressure. Being made fun of for it I could handle, but dying? I seriously don’t know. Hopefully I’ll never have to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment